With apologies to the Beatles, the Federation of Egalitarian Communities, and the state of Vermont.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Chapter Ninety: Zelda’s New Romance

“Who was that woman I saw you with?”  Darren asked Zelda as they were working together in the kitchen.

“That was Matilda,” Zelda said.  “That’s my husband’s girlfriend.”

“Wow, you lead an interesting life,” Darren said.

“Not as interesting as I’d like,” said Zelda.

“I thought that maybe you were involved with her,” said Darren.

“Now that would be interesting,” Zelda said.  “Never tried that before.  How are things with you and Chuck?”

“Oh, Chuck’s still a lot of fun,”  Darren said.

“I noticed him hanging out a bit with Winter.”

“Yeah.  They like to compare dresses.”

“Don’t you get jealous?”

“Nah.  He and I see other people all the time.  In fact, Winter and I are spending the night together tomorrow night.”

Zelda looked wistful.  “I wish I had someone to spend the night with.”

Darren put down his pastry cutter and put his hand on her shoulder.  “Oh, Zelda.  Don’t worry, my dear.  Love has a way of sneaking into your life when you least expect it.”

“Oh, I’m too old for that now, I think.”

“No, no, no.  You’re never too old for a new love.”


                                                                    *

“Wow,” said Bob.  “This is a great pie.  Did you make it, Nancy?”

“Nope,” said Nancy.  “This is a Zelda special.”

“Boy, that woman can bake,” Bob said.

“She’s over there,” Nancy said.  “You should tell her yourself.”

Bob sat and thought for a few minutes.  Slowly he got up and walked over to where Zelda was talking with Earthworm and Angel.

“Excuse me, folks,” he said.  “Zelda, when you’re done with your conversation, can I talk with you outside?”

A few minutes later, Zelda found Bob sitting on a bench near Harmony House.  She sat down next to him.

“What’s up?” she asked.

Bob looked at her for a bit.  “So, are you involved with anyone?” he asked.

“I could be,” she said.

“You could be what?”

“I could be involved with you, if you were interested.”

“You make the best pie I’ve ever tasted.”  He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.  After a moment, he asked her shyly,  “Was that okay?”

“Okay?” Zelda echoed.  She shook her head. “More than okay.  I want you to kiss me on the other cheek now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment