With apologies to the Beatles, the Federation of Egalitarian Communities, and the state of Vermont.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Chapter Ninety-Nine: Viv, Cat, and Marge Visit the Old Neighborhood

Viv was sitting next to Cat at lunch one day.

“You know,” Viv said, “I heard a plane fly overhead a couple of days ago and it was low and it startled me.  I wasn’t used to the sound.  Then I remembered I used to hear that and worse all the time a couple of years ago.”

“Yeah,” said Cat.  “I know what you mean.  We lived with it all the time.  Now  it seems like a dream.”

“Hey,” said Marge, who overheard the conversation.  “The two of you weren’t even there when the plane nearly landed on our street.  Remember, Darren?”

Darren looked at them and shook his head.  “Brings back memories I’ve tried hard to forget.”

“You ever wonder what the place looks like now?” Viv asked.

“No,” said Cat.

“I do, now and then,” said Marge.  “You thinking of going back and visiting the place?”

“Yeah,” Viv said.  “I haven’t been off the commune in over a year.  It’s the middle of August, we’ve been working in sun every day, and I need a break.”

“Yeah, I need a break, too,” Cat said.  “But why not go to the beach?  Why go back there?”

“We could stop off at Revered Beach on the way,” Marge said.  “I think it sounds like fun.  We could go this weekend.  You interested, Darren?”

“Not this time.  I’ve got a triple date with Chuck and Winter this weekend. But you folks could have a good time.”

Viv looked at Cat.  “What about you?  Are you in?”

Cat looked at Viv and Marge’s expectant faces.  “I suppose so.  Only because it’s with the two of you.”


                                                                    *

“Wow,” said Marge.  “Borderline Way.  The docks and the brick and the stone walls and…”

“The planes coming down,” Cat finished when they could hear again.

“Believe it or not, I sort of miss the place,” Viv said.  “I could look out on the water from my window.  I used to spend hours watching the planes come in.”

“I don’t miss it a bit,” said Cat.  “I lived here almost five years and it all seems so foreign to me now.”

“Oh my,” Marge stared at the airliner approaching them and drew in her breath.  “I think it’s coming right at us.”

“It does look low,” VIv said.  “But I remember lower.”

“Yeah, but you weren’t there for the plane that took down the neighborhood,” Marge said.  “I think I’m having PASS.”

“PASS?” asked Cat.

“Post Aircraft Stress Syndrome,” said Marge. “I keep flashing back to that day and the sirens and…”

“Let’s get out of here,” Viv said.  “I’ve seen enough.”

“Can we go to the beach now?” Cat asked.

Marge was still staring out at the water even though the plane had gone by and landed.

“Yeah,” said Viv.  “Now I’m remembering all the reasons I left this place.  I’ve had more than my dose of it.  I don’t think I’ll need to come back.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” Marge said.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes going back is not a good idea, we are where we are supposed to be

    ReplyDelete