With apologies to the Beatles, the Federation of Egalitarian Communities, and the state of Vermont.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Chapter Ninety-Seven: What Sal was Up To

“You just don’t seem yourself these days, sweetheart,” Nancy said.  “I think that you should make up with Dan once and for all and get back into the swing of things.”

“I don’t know,” said Sal.  “It feels like ever since Dan and I started disagreeing about the construction work, everything’s started coming apart.”

“It’s just your pride,” said Nancy.  “Why don’t you just apologize to Dan and get it over with?”

“Because at this point, it’s not just about one or two things.  These days we seem to disagree about everything.  And I know that he’d hate what I’m planning now.”

“What are you planning now?”  asked Nancy.  “Everybody thinks that you’re up to something but nobody can figure out what.”

“I’ll give you a clue,” Sal said.  “What’s the one thing that would make this farm work enormously better?”

“I have no idea,” Nancy said.  “I can think of lot of things that would improve this place a little bit, but I can’t think of one thing that would make a huge difference.”

“You’re not thinking hard enough,” Sal said.  “How about having a new business?”

“A new business?  Aren’t we busy enough?”

“Well, I’m not busy enough.  They don’t really need me in the produce stand and the construction crew doesn’t want anything to do with me.  And I figured that a new business would get us in even better shape financially.”

“What kind of business?” Nancy asked.

“Well, you know how Old Corn really made it as a community once the Indecent Exposure Seed Exchange got going,” Sal said.

“Yeah, you and I worked with them for a couple of years, picking and packing weeds and seeds..”

“Well, I’m thinking that we could do the same thing here.  I’ve been gathering up seed from the stuff the produce and farm crew have been dumping and I think I’ve collected enough of it to start drying and packing it.”

“So what would you call this new business?” Nancy asked.

“OverExposure Seed Exchange,” said Sal.


                                                                    *

In the commune meeting that week, Sal outlined her plan.

“I see this as a really smart, additional source of income, and something that the Old Corn community has done really well with,” she said.

“Hey,” said Sally.  “I can help with this.  Things in the fields are slowing down and with Angel and Bob and Chuck and Patsy all working away, I’m always looking for more things to do.”

“Yeah, I can spare Sally,” Luna said.  “How much income do you think we can get selling seeds?”

“They make billions at Old Corn,” said Sal, “but we’re just starting out, so I’d say a couple of hundred.”

“And that would be a couple of hundred more than we have now,” added Nancy.

“I think that it’s a great idea,” said Dan.  “I’d support it.”

“Thank you, Dan,” said Sal.  “That means a lot to me.”

“It’s a really good idea,” said Darren.  “But I don’t like the name.  I think that the exposure thing has been truly over exposed.”

“What should we call it then?” asked Sal.

“Excuse me,” Candy said, raising her hand.  “Can I suggest something?”

“Sure,” said Sowbug who was running the meeting.  “Once you start living here, you’re a part of everything and in these meetings everyone should get a chance to speak.”

“Well, if Sally is also part of this new seed business,” Candy said, “why not call it Sal and Sally’s Strategically Selected Seeds?”

“Sal and Sally’s Seeds,” said Sorrel.  “I like it.  It’s got a ring to it.”

“Sure does,” said Zelda.

“Okay,” said Sal.  “Unless anyone has any objections, it’s now Sal and Sally’s Strategically Selected Seeds.”

“Any problems with this?” asked Sowbug.  Everyone shook their heads.  “Alright, I think we have a new business.”

No comments:

Post a Comment