With apologies to the Beatles, the Federation of Egalitarian Communities, and the state of Vermont.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Chapter One Hundred and Four: A Seedy Business

“Wow,” said Sally.  “This is our fifth order.  That’s kind of a milestone.”

“I suppose it is,” said Sal.  “But this isn’t so easy for me.  I lived at Old Corn where we would often get ten orders a day--and that was on a slow day.”

“Yeah, but we’re just starting this,” Sally pointed out.  “Old Corn has been doing it for quite a while.”

“That’s true,” Sal said. “But if this business is going to earn any money, we’re going to need to figure out how to get more customers, and fast.”

“Okay,” said Sally.  “But how are we supposed to do that?”

“I’m thinking, I’m thinking,” said Sal.

At that moment, Luna poked her head in the door.  “How’s it going?”

“Could be better,” Sal said.

“What’s wrong?” Luna asked.

“We’re not getting much business,” said Sal.  “The people who’ve ordered seeds are happy with us, but we don’t have very many people ordering seeds.’

“You know what we need?” Sally said.

“What?” asked Sal and Luna, almost as one voice.

“We need an advertising person.  Someone who knows something about marketing.”

“Where do we find someone like that?” asked Sal.


                                                                   *


“Hey, look,” Sally said a week later.  “We got two more orders in today.  That means that we’ve gotten nine orders in so far and almost doubled our sales in a week.”

“That’s lovely,” said Sal sadly.  “But at this rate we’ll break even by the next decade.”

“Okay, okay,” said Sally.  “I’ve talked with everyone at the commune and really, there isn’t anyone here that really understands advertising and marketing.  I think we’ve just got to keep on going and doing the best we can and trust that it will all work out.”

“I know,” Sal said.  “I’m a bit of a worrywart.  Still, I don’t want to just sit back and wait for something to happen.  That’s not my style.”

“Sorry, I can’t keep listening to this,” Sally said.  “Let me work on this order. While you’re busy complaining, we could be getting stuff done.”

 “Okay,” Sal said.  “I’m taking a break.”

She found Nancy working in the kitchen.  “Got a minute?” she asked.

“For you, my love, of course!”  Nancy smiled sweetly at Sal.

“I’m really worried about our new seed business,” Sal said.  “If we don’t get a big influx of customers soon, we’re going to be in big trouble.”

“You’ve gotta have faith, Sal,” Nancy said.  “It’s a great idea.  You’ve just gotta give it a little time.”

“But…” Sal said.

“Listen to me.  Something is going to happen and it’s going to happen soon.  I know it.”


No comments:

Post a Comment